Podium Walker v1.2.8 is available for Windows
August 13, 2015 - Cadalog, Inc., the maker of SU Podium V2.5 Plus and Podium Browser, both SketchUp plug-ins, has released, Podium Walker version 1.2.8, a photo-realistic animation plug-in for SketchUp. Currently, V1.2.8 works only on Windows. The Mac version is still on V1.2.5, with an update expected in the coming months.
What is Podium Walker?
- It is a photo-realistic, real-time, animation plug-in for SketchUp that allows for fast visualization and video animations.
- It uses ray tracing and ambient occlusion to create keyframe, photo-real renderings and animations.
- It works directly with SU Podium V2.5 Plus and/or Podium Browser. It reads SU Podium's reflections, blurred reflections, refractions, bump maps, omni lights, LEM lights and translates SketchUp sun position to create it's own sun and sky light.
- Supports SketchUp 2015, 2014 and 8 on Mac Maverick and Windows, and can export to video formats such as .mp4, .mov, .m2t and .avi.
- Introduction price - $99.00 (USD) for commercial licenses, $59.00 (USD) for student/ teacher licenses.
What's new in Podium Walker v1.2.8?
Podium Walker v1.2.8 now uses lightmaps to speed up scene rendering and make your design process a whole lot faster.
Lightmaps: With the release of v1.2.8, Podium Walker now makes use of light-maps as part of the rendering process. Lightmaps are a form of pre-rendering, in which lighting information is calculated and "baked" into your model.
Freedom to iterate: While this does not eliminate the need for Podium Walker to carry out ray-tracing calculations, the calculations can now be done earlier in the design process giving users far more leeway to make iterative design decisions. Light-maps make last minute changes to an animation far less time-intensive.
Make changes without re-calculating lighting: Previously, changing your animation and re-rendering a video meant that Podium Walker had to complete the entire ray-tracing process again. With lightmaps, once Podium Walker has completed ray-tracing your scene, you are free to make changes to camera paths and keyframes.
Re-render in a fraction of the time: Once your changes have been made Podium Walker, will be able to re-export your video in a fraction of the time it would have taken without lightmaps because the scene has already been ray-traced.
Download and Install Podium Walker v1.2.8
Current Podium Walker version is 1.2.8 for both Windows for SU 2015/ 2014. Mac is still V1.2.5, and requires Maverick. Both are trial versions which will expire in 30 days after installing.